Bodhisattva Anagarika Dharmapala found that the facilities and intellectual atmosphere in Calcutta, the then capital of India was conducive for his work. He started his activities with launching the journal “The Maha Bodhi” in 1892 and through that he established a communicational channel with the outside world. He represented Budddhism in the First World Parliament of Religions held in Chicago in 1893.
During the British rule in India, the Sacred Relics of the Buddha were presented to the Maha Bodhi Society of India. Sri Dharmarajika Chetiya Vihara was constructed at the premises of the headquarters, where those Sacred Relics of the Buddha were enshrined. The Vihara was designed on the model of the Ajanta caves. The Vihara and the Dharma Hall was decorated with beautiful fresco paintings on the life of the Tathagata Sakyamuni Buddha.
On 26th November 1920, Sir Asutosh Mukherjee, Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court and Vice Chancellor of Calcutta University – who was the President of the Maha Bodhi Society of India, the Founder Bodhisattva Anagarika Dharmapala, and Mrs. Annie Besant, the President of The Theosophical Society of India together with thousands of devotees and well-wishers, attended the opening of the Vihara.
Arabinda Barua Library; Dharmapala Institute of Culture and International Guest House; Maha Bodhi Publication and Media Division; Publication of Half yearly journal “The Maha Bodhi”; Meditation programme, Maha Bodhi Yoga Class, Maha Bodhi Nursery & Primary School; Sri Jinaratana Memorial Free Homeopathy Dispensary; Buddha Jayanti Celebration; Birth Anniversary of the Founder; Kathina Chivara offerings; Seminars etc.
Maha Bodhi Society of India,
Sri Dharmarajika Chetiya Vihara,
4A Bankim Chatterjee Street,
West Bengal, India. Phone 033-22415214,
033-65364328, Email – email@example.com
Website – www.mbsiindia.org
General Secretary / Bhikkhu-in-Charge, Maha Bodhi Society of India.