Sarnath, also known as holy Isipatana Migadaya is situated in Varanasi District in Uttar Pradesh. Here The Buddha delivered His first sermon known as the Dhamma-Chakka Pavattana Sutta (setting in motion the wheel of Universal Truth) to His first five disciples and began his service of spreading the Dhamma both far and near.
The construction of the Mulagandha Kuti Vihara was taken up by Bodhisatta Anagarika Dharmapala in 1926. At the time he decided to construct this temple, it was the great philanthropist Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Foster, the lady from Hawaii who gave the first financial assistance.
Thereafter, monetary assistance came from his parents, brothers and well-wishers. He personally supervised the construction of this 200 feet high magnificent temple which was inaugurated on 11th November 1931. On the same day the Holy Relics of The Buddha was presented by Rai Bahadur Dayaram Sahni, Director General of Archaeology with a message of the then Viceroy and Governor General of India. The Vihara was decorated with fresco paintings by the world famous Japanese artist Mr. Kosetsu Nosu and his assistant Mr. Kawai.
The founder Bodhisattva Anagarika Dharmapala was ordained as a Buddhist monk here in 1931 where he passed away in 1934. His ashes are enshrined in the ground of the premises. The Sarnath Centre plays a significant role to serve the pilgrims who come to visit the Centre from India and abroad, by providing them assistance to perform their pilgrimage comfortably and peacefully. It also performs social welfare services and educational activities throughout the year.
Address: Maha Bodhi Society of India, Mulagandha Kuti Vihara,
Sarnath Centre, Sarnath-221007, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India,
Tel: 0542-2595955; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact : Bhikkhu-in-Charge, Sarnath Centre.